8 Tips for Healthy Snacking to Help You Stay on Track
You’ve made it through January and the novelty of your new year’s resolutions are starting to wear off. It’s cold outside and all you want to do is eat some delicious but not always healthy food to get you through to your next meal. Although snacking may have developed a “bad image”, it could be your saviour when it’s comes to staying on track with your healthy diet.
There are many different types of snacks to choose from and they can provide a welcome boost of energy between meals or after exercise. Nutritional snacks may even be able to curb your hunger and prevent overeating at mealtimes.
Here are 8 ideas to help you with your healthy snacking:
- Stick to the recommended portion size. A recommended portion of nuts is 25-30g, equivalent to a small, cupped handful.
- Never eat straight from a sharing bag of snacks as this may lead to the unwanted temptation of diving back in. Instead, portion out an appropriate serving and put the rest of the packet away.
- Plan ahead and bring your own snacks on every adventure. Keeping healthy snacks on hand both at home and on the go will help you save money, the environment and prevent any unhealthy purchases.
- Go unprocessed! Take plain nuts and spice them up yourself as pre-seasoned nuts such as honey-roasted, salted and flavoured may have an unnecessarily high salt and sugar content.
- Avoid any snacks where the first ingredient on the back of the pack is sugar.
- Consider fruit and vegetables as they are both a good source of fibre, vitamins and minerals.
- Focus on high protein snacks that are also high in fibre as they can help you stay fuller for longer. Examples include yogurt with a high protein content and fruit, carrots and houmous, or Tri Blend Select. Tri Blend Select is available in Banana or Coffee Caramel flavour and is a premium wellness protein shake mix made with a high-quality blend of pea, quinoa and flaxseed to deliver a complete protein source*.
- Balance is key. It’s okay to have an unhealthy snack once in a while so long as it is once in a while and not too big a portion.
*The addition of rice protein powder complementing the quinoa, flax and pea in Tri Blend Select to create a complete, nutritious, vegan source of protein.